Smile Senior Care loves sharing healthy, seasonal recipes for seniors to enjoy. One that will blend perfectly with the Los Angeles weather but still give you all of the flavors of autumn is the Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. For added protein, this recipe calls for greek yogurt. Share a smoothie with your home care aide for a snack today.
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Prep time: 10 minutes
• 1 15-ounce can pumpkin (chilled)
• 1 12-ounce can fat free evaporated milk (chilled)
• 8 ounces greek vanilla yogurt
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1. Combine pumpkin, milk, yogurt, sugar and spice in a blender; cover.
2. Blend until mixture is smooth.
3. Pour into glasses; top with whipped cream (if desired) and an additional sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice. Serves four.
Green tea is full of antioxidants and other health benefits. Add a splash of healthy cranberry juice to this hot beverage on cool nights for a fall treat. Be cautioned not to drink caffeinated teas too close to bedtime or you may have trouble sleeping.
Black tea is also rich in antioxidants and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. One of our favorite recipes is as follows. A hot cup of your choice of black tea, an orange slice and a cinnamon stick to stir with. The flavors will steep and you will have a wonderful cup of spiced orange tea. Add sweetener to taste.