Who doesn’t love a comforting warm meal on a cool fall evening? With the start of October, we at Smile Senior Care would like you to try a wonderful Chicken Sausage with Sauerkraut dish that will keep you warm and cozy for the evening. Ask your home care aide for assistance if you have trouble with the preparations.
Makes: 4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces (4 links) cooked chicken sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes, sauerkraut, wine, pepper, caraway seeds and bay leaf; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Per serving: 295 calories; 9 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 60 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 554 mg sodium; 545 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Potassium (16% dv).