Knitting is a great way to keep your mind active and Smile Senior Care would love for our seniors to create such lovely things, like this Knit Ruffle Scarf. You can give it to your home care aide as a gift for all the help she is.
Skill Level: Easy
BO-bind off; cont-continue; k-knit stitch; loop(s)-loop(s); p-purl stitch; rep-repeat; rnd-round; WY-working yarn
SIZES – ONE SIZE FITS ALL
One skein of ruffle yarn makes a scarf approximately 60 in [152 cm] long
- Yarn 1 skein Ruffle Yarn (Original model made using Red Heart Boutique Sashay, 97% Acrylic/3% polyester,3.5 oz/100g, 30 yd/27m, color: #1959, Twist)
- Loom Boye® 24-peg round loom
- Take a length of the Ruffle Yarn and stretch it open for several inches. Notice that this yarn forms a mesh pattern that has a metallic thread along the bottom which will form the ruffle and a single strand mesh of holes along the top. You will use the single strand top mesh as if it were a strand of yarn. Each hole in the mesh will be used to form a stitch.
- Continue to open up the Ruffle Yarn and untwist as it comes from the skein.
- As you are knitting on the long or round loom, keep your work on the inside of the loom and pull down on the work after each row is completed. On the spool loom, keep your work on the outside and pull down after each row is completed.
Begin 1 in [2.5 cm] from the edge of the Ruffle Yarn by placing a hole in the top of the mesh on each of 6 pegs on the round loom. Make sure the yarn is on the INSIDE of the loom.
Row 1: Turn the Ruffle Yarn in the opposite direction, skip a hole and place the next hole over each existing loop; knit the bottom loops over the top loops on all 6 pegs.
Row 2: Turn the Ruffle Yarn in the opposite direction, skip a hole and purl the first stitch using the following method:
- Bring the Ruffle Yarn to the front of the peg, and place the upper edge of the mesh below the existing loop
- With the knitting tool, reach through the loop on the peg and grab the knitting strand on the ruffle yarn
- Pull the knitting strand up through the existing loop
- Grab the knitting strand loop with your fingers and pull to remove the stitch from the peg
- Move the ruffle yarn behind the peg and place the loop on the peg to complete the purl stitch
Repeat steps 1-5 for the purl stitch in each of the next 5 pegs.
Repeat Rows 1-2 until you have approximately 18 in [46 cm] left for bind off and 1 loop remains on each of the six pegs.
Bind Off as follows:
- Remove the loop from peg 2 and place it on peg 1; knit off peg 1 and move the loop back to peg 2.
- Remove the loop from peg 3 and place it on peg 2; knit off peg 2 and move this loop back to peg 3.
- Continue binding off each peg in the same manner until you only have 1 loop remaining on the loom.
- Remove the last loop from loom and insert the tail through the loop. Knot tail. Trim both ends. Shake scarf to fluff ruffles.