Smile Senior Care wants to present you with a side dish that will wow your friends and family, as well as nourish their bodies. This interesting recipe, prepared with the delicious bounty of fall, is sure to be the talk of the table during Thanksgiving. Your home care aide can help you put it together.
Leeks are a great source of folic acid, calcium, potassium, and vitamin C. Apples are a wonderful source of fiber and a host of different anti-oxidants. Butternut squash is a powerhouse source of Vitamin A. Save the butternut squash seeds to roast for later, they are very healthy, as well.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white part only, trimmed of roots and tough outer leaves, thinly sliced crosswise, well washed and dried
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 pound apples, such as Gala, Cortland, Baldwin, or Macoun, peeled, halved, cored, and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a 10-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add leeks and 2 tablespoons water; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add sherry and sage and cook until liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 3 minutes; set aside.
- In a 2-quart shallow baking dish, arrange squash in overlapping layers; season with salt and pepper. Spread leeks evenly over the squash.
- Arrange apples in an overlapping layer over the leeks. Brush apples with remaining tablespoon oil. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 45 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle cheese over the top. Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees and bake 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is golden brown. The tip of a paring knife should easily pierce the gratin. Let cool 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with sage leaves.
Per serving: 264 calories; 6 g protein; 13 g fat; 30 g carbs; 5 g fiber.