Smile Senior Care would like for you to try another traditional holiday meal, potato latkes. They make a delicious addition to any holiday meal. Remember, potatoes are packed with a healthy dose of potassium!
- 3 1/2 cups shredded peeled baking potatoes
- 1 1/4 cups grated onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- 1. Combine potato and onion in a colander. Drain 30 minutes, pressing with the back of a spoon until barely moist. Combine potato mixture, flour, and next 4 ingredients (through egg) in a large bowl; toss well.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Spoon 1/4 cup potato mixture loosely into a dry measuring cup. Pour mixture into pan, and flatten slightly. Repeat procedure 5 times to form 6 latkes. Sauté 3 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove latkes from pan, and keep warm. Repeat procedure with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and potato mixture to yield 12 latkes total. Combine applesauce and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Serve applesauce with latkes.