Smile Senior Care loves the holiday season and all of the festive foods that come with it. Why not try something new and healthy this year. This red and white salad will ensure Santa can fit down the chimney this year! With a myriad of flavors mingling together, this dish is sure to dazzle the taste buds.
Apples are a good source of fiber, vitamin C, B complex vitamins and phytonutrients. Radishes have anti-fungal properties and are also packed with nutrients like potassium and calcium. Fennel is rich in cancer fighting phytonutrients like anethole, which has been shown to reduce inflammation and in some cases, helps to prevent reoccurrences of cancers.
Makes: 8 servings, about 1 3/4 cups each
- 4 cups thinly sliced hearts of romaine
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 15-ounce can hearts of palm, drained, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 head radicchio, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 red apple, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- Champagne Vinaigrette, (recipe follows)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Toss romaine, endive, fennel, hearts of palm, radicchio, apple and radishes together in a large salad bowl. Add vinaigrette and toss to coat. Season with pepper.
TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare salad without dressing, cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. Toss with vinaigrette just before serving.
Per serving: 111 calories; 7 g fat ( 1 g sat , 5 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 424 mg sodium; 324 mg potassium.
Makes: 2/3 cup, for 8 servings
- 1/4 shallot, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine shallot, vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a blender. Puree until smooth.
TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 53 calories; 5 g fat ( 1 g sat , 4 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 gfiber; 182 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
From: Eating Well